Thursday, October 16, 2008

CAN YOU HANDLE THE TRUTH?

First Reaction/First Glance
In the midst of our tough economic times ($700 billion government bailout), there are many questions and concerns being raised. Is it possible that the truth got buried with all of the pressure to perform in the fast-paced we live in? Or could it also have been the pressure to deliver that forced Senior Executives to hear only what they wanted to hear and avoid the truth?


The Learning Process
There is not a person on earth who likes to deliver “bad news”. In order for companies to move forward, its employees and partners must honor the code of honesty and respect. With those words in mind, everyone has an obligation to tell the truth and share their concerns so the team can react quickly and come up with a solution.


Improvement for the Future
As a senior leader at TP Mechanical Contractors, I have had to deliver and receive bad news over the years. In fact, many times as a recipient of the bad news I had what I call the “Gomer Pyle” response – Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Here are some thoughts and questions that can help you deliver and receive bad news.

“Hey, Boss, when you have a few minutes, I would like to go over some issues that I just became aware of.” Another suggestion: “I just received some bad news and I’m requesting your thoughts and ideas in helping me create solution.”

For instance after receiving the bad news you say, “Well, John, I appreciate you bringing this to me so early. Let’s work together to see how we can soften the issue.”

As we communicate the truth more clearly, it can set us free.